Do you often feel tired after eating lunch? More than anything, do you just wish that you could crawl under your desk and take a nap? If so, you’re certainly not alone. It’s a pretty common phenomenon.
But since it’s not acceptable in most workplaces to lie on the floor and sleep, it’s a good idea to try other approaches to overcoming that after-lunch slump. Here are a few suggestions:
- Eat your breakfast – Don’t skip this important meal! If you do, you’ll probably feel super-hungry by lunchtime and eat a large lunch that may make you feel lethargic.
- Eat small snacks – Eat small, healthy snacks throughout the day. They’ll help to keep your energy up. Things like nuts, sunflower seeds, hummus, apple slices, and peanut butter are good choices. Try to avoid sugary snacks, if you can.
- Eat a proper lunch – Try to avoid foods like pizza, french fries, and white bread. These types of things will give you a quick burst of energy, but you’re likely to crash soon after that. The most energizing lunches are those that includes both protein (like chicken, fish, or eggs) and complex carbohydrates (such as veggies and beans).
- Stay hydrated – Dehydration can cause feelings of fatigue. So drink water throughout the day. Avoid soda and other sugary drinks.
- Stand up and walk around – Moving around can lead to increased energy. So you should take regular breaks throughout the day. Stand up, stretch, walk around your building a little bit, and maybe even go up and down a flight of stairs. You’ll feel better both mentally and physically!
- Go outside – Natural light can help to wake you up, ease your stress, and elevate your mood. So, if possible, try to get outside for a little fresh air and sunshine.
Nowak, C. (n.d.). Falling asleep at your desk? 11 tips for energy after lunch. Reader’s Digest. Retrieved from: https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/energy-after-lunch/
Steen, J. (2016, January 9). Sleep after lunch? We found out exactly why it happens. Huffington Post. Retrieved from: https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/08/31/sleepy-after-lunch-we-found-out-exactly-why-it-happens_a_21463330/