I recently attended a very fun and engaging conference session presented by Dr. Ann Turner (a Sibley Memorial EAP Counselor) on “The Art of Happiness.” Dr. Turner gave us a simple list of ten things that people can do to increase their level of happiness. And here it is!
- Sleep more
- Move closer to work
- Spend time with friends and family
- Spend time outside
- Help others two hours a week
- Practice smiling – it will boost your endorphins
- Plan a trip
- Meditate – it will help you feel calm and relaxed
- Practice gratitude – every day, think of three things that you’re grateful for
I like this list because it seems reasonable, realistic, and doable. (And I can totally relate with number five – nothing lifts my spirits more than getting outside and breathing some fresh air!)
Try a couple of these suggestions and see what you think. Do these behaviors make you happier? Feel free to share your experiences in the Comments section below!