There may be times when you don’t feel motivated at work. You may not feel excited about the projects that you’re working on or engaged in your tasks. And that may make it harder for you to focus, be productive, and get things done.
If you find yourself in this type of situation, don’t blame yourself. Just because you feel unmotivated, this doesn’t mean that you’re a bad employee or a lazy person. It also doesn’t mean that you need to start looking for a new job. According to author Ashley Stahl, there are things you can do to feel more excited and motivated about your work, including the following:
- Try something new – Ask your manager if you can change your role to better align with your interests, or ask to take on a new project that interests you. Do what you can to shift your efforts onto tasks that make you feel enthusiastic and engaged.
- Learn something new – Learn a new skill. (Make sure it’s something that interests you!) This will help to make you feel more engaged at work. In addition, your manager will most likely be impressed with your efforts, and you will become a more knowledgeable, valuable employee.
- Get some feedback – You may not be sure how to branch out at work or what types of tasks would make you feel more motivated and engaged. If you’re not sure what path to take, talk to your manager and ask them what they think your strengths are. How do they think you best contribute to your organization? It may be a good idea to focus on those areas, knowing that this type of work is needed and valuable.
- Think about the importance of your work – It’s essential to regularly remind yourself that your work is important. Think about all of the people that have been helped due to your efforts! You make a difference, every day. Remember that.
- Take a break – Use your vacation days. Taking a break from your job can help you to relax and recharge. And it will allow you to return to work feeling more energized and motivated to get work done.
Stahl, A. (2016, November 22). Seven ways to get motivated at work. Forbes. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleystahl/2016/11/22/seven-ways-to-get-motivated-at-work/?sh=276cb0223cd5